Wednesday, May 15, 2013

And Now Me!

This is, unfortunately, my last blog post but I have certainly enjoyed blogging these past few weeks. Nutrition and healthy lifestyle is something I'm very passionate about, though I don't want to give you the wrong idea. I am no extreme health nut- I love eating all different types of food, and I have my fair share of guilty pleasures.

I personally think that nutrition plays such a huge part in our national culture. It is cheaper to buy a full meal at McDonald's than it is to buy just an apple from the super market. Therefore, parents are more likely to buy their kids a meal from McDonald's because it is a larger quantity, even though they aren't getting anything nutritional out of it. Our need for immediate gratification and low budgets put a huge hindrance on our ability to have a full, well-balanced diet.

Once a week I see a nutritionist who has always emphasized the power of moderation, and thats the last idea I would like to talk to you about. Moderation refers to the quantity of food as well as the type of food you are consuming. It is perfectly okay to eat a variety of foods, anywhere from cake to fruit, but the key to staying healthy is therefore in portion size. Obesity isn't entirely the result of eating fattening foods, but rather overeating foods that would in any other instance be fine moderately. 

The best way to eat moderately is to be conscious of what is going on. In a super-sized society, we are often presented with more food than what we could ever possibly need. Be aware of your limits and stop when you are starting to feel full, and make sure if you lack one major food group in a particular meal that you make up for it in some other way that day.

Thank you again, and I wish you all "Healthy Living" :)
-Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment